A celebration of Earth’s incredible biodiversity
- Level 1
- Included in Admission
- All age groups
Celebrate Earth’s incredible biodiversity
From the lush green plants of the rainforest to tiniest crustacean walking along the seafloor, our planet is full of thriving life. Explore the wonders of the natural world as you investigate diverse habitats filled with unique plant and animal species from around the world.
Dive under the sea to explore the ocean depths in the World Alive aquarium:
- In the Indo-Pacific coral reef and seafloor reef rubble habitats, come face-to-face with multiple species of coral, tropical fish and other seas creatures including gobies, pufferfish, tangs, wrasse and giant clams. You might even see diver drop in, so be sure to wave hello!
- View other unique species in ecosystems from around the world, from skating stingrays to camouflaged cuttlefish.
- Discover the creatures that call the North Carolina coastline home as you explore their shoreline habitat of native plants and animals such as sea stars, sea urchins, horseshoe crabs and oyster reefs.
Then embark on a journey into Charlotte’s only urban rainforest:
- Listen for the songs of exotic birds and the sounds of an echoing waterfall.
- Channel your inner adventurer as you trek across the canopy rope bridge and witness a birds-eye view of the tropical habitat below.
- From the forest floor to the tops of the tree canopy, be on the lookout for free flying birds, tree-dwelling reptiles, ground-floor frogs, turtles and more! With a balmy, humid atmosphere, you will feel like you’ve been transported to one of the most diverse ecosystems on Earth.
To learn more about the importance of biodiversity, stop by the John Mackay Field Station, a rustic researcher’s hut where you can make observations in the field about the creatures you’ve encountered and learn more about how you can protect our wild world.
World Alive brings the wonder and interconnectedness of our planet to your fingertips.
Find us on the Museum Map
Discovery Place Science is located in the heart of uptown Charlotte and is accessible by car, train or foot. Discovery Place Science Parking Deck is located at the corner of Church and 6th St. in Uptown Charlotte.