July 7, 2023
Ideas for a Successful Field Trip in Charlotte
Get ready for an amazing field trip to a Discovery Place Museum, where students will be immersed in a world of hands-on learning, teamwork and unforgettable memories. By following these tips, you’ll make this adventure not only enjoyable but also educational and safe for your entire group!
- Plan a Pre-Visit: Be the ultimate prepared educator by visiting the Museum ahead of time. You’ll get the lay of the land, preview exhibits and activities and be ready to maximize your students’ experience.
- Set Clear Objectives: Make this field trip more than just a day off from school! Outline learning goals aligned with your curriculum share them with students and chaperones and plan activities that bring those objectives to life.
- Assign Responsibilities: Keep things running smoothly by designating roles for teachers, chaperones, and students. Set behavior expectations and establish a buddy system for an organized and well-managed trip.
- Consider the Itinerary: Resist the urge to overstuff your agenda. Prioritize the most engaging and relevant experiences and schedule breaks and free exploration time to keep students excited and energized.
- Remember Special Needs and Accommodations: Make this field trip fantastic for every student by inquiring about and planning for any necessary accommodations. Discovery Place is dedicated to inclusivity, so our staff is here to help!
- Prioritize Safety Protocols: Partner with us in ensuring student safety by familiarizing yourself with Discovery Place’s safety measures and communicating clear instructions to students and chaperones.
- Debrief and Reflect: Extend the educational impact by scheduling a post-trip debriefing. Invite students to share their experiences and connect what they learned to the classroom curriculum, solidifying their newfound knowledge.